Wednesday, July 12, 2017

DIY Denim Pocket Card with Easy Instructions



Coolest DIY Denim Ever Created with Spellbinders and Maja Design

Denim is in.  It's trendy, it's chic and now it's available in the form of beautiful papers by Maja Design.  It also looks darn adorable with die cuts from Spellbinders.  

I created an adorable pocket card to fit a tag or gift card with my two featured products from Spellbinders and Maja Design. 

If you scroll down the page, I have DIY instructions to show you how I crafted the pocket. 

I created my card with new scrumptious papers from Maja Design called, Denim & Friends and the coordinating set of solids called Maja Design - Monochrome Collection  Shades of Denim & Friends  .  This collection has something for everyone; masculine, feminine, playful, fun.  PLUS their new solid monochrome collection designed to accompany the Denim & Friends collection perfectly.

The monochrome papers do not have patterns but they have added richness in the design making them unlike solid cardstock.  

Introducing

These are the papers I used from the collection: 
(Stonewashed, Summershirt, Jeans & Tie, Paisley)
My DIY card is a sweet play on the denim theme - a pocket card with a frilly twist because jeans look great with lace.  Perfect for a gift card or tag.  Plus some DIY tips to show you how I made my easy pocket card. 

The pocket was made using this die from Spellbinders: (little side note:  I adore this die set and tend to grab this for many of my cards because of the classically clean lines and versatile shapes)

I  opted for crafting a coordinating tag for the card because I am obsessed with the "medallion" die that comes with the set. 

Here is a close up of the card with the tag tucked into the pocket.  


DIY Steps to Make a Pocket Card

Step 1.   Using the Spellbinders Card Creator Dies -A2 Divine Eloquence , cut the border frame.  Next add doodled stitches using a black fine tip pen. 


Step 2.  I used a die from Spellbinders (Spellbinders Card Creator Dies A2 Divine Eloquence)  and cut about 1/3 of the way down the die to create the base of my pocket.  
Step 3. After cutting the die to size, I backed the die cut with a piece of a piece of white cardstock for extra support and trimmed the white cardstock, leaving a small white edge around the die shape. 

The cardstock also helped accentuate the beautiful details of the delicate die and make them pop a bit more on the pocket.  I made sure the white cardstock was a bit longer at the top as well so I could add some embellishments as shown below in Step 4.

Step 4.  After backing with white cardstock in Step 3, I decorated the pocket by adding more doodled stitching, some lace trim and coordinating patterned paper from the new  Denim & Friends 12x12 collection.  

Step 5.   Making the Tag - I made a quick double sided tag using Spellbinders Card Creator Dies A2 Divine Eloquence .  
a.   Cut 2 dies.  
b.  Back both the die cuts with white cardstock.
c.  Glue some thin ribbon to the white side of one die (to use as a pull tab)
d.  Glue the dies together
e. Trim the cardstock to fit ( I left a thin white edge). 

Note:  I did add a piece of thin ribbon between the two dies before gluing the two died together.  By adding the ribbon before gluing, it helps make the tag look clean and polished.  

Step 6.   I wanted to pop the pocket off the page a bit with some foam tape so make the tag or a gift card tuck easily into the pocket.
  
In order to make sure my tag fit into the pocket, I flipped the pocket over and used the tag/die as a template to determine where I needed to place the foam so that the tag doesn't fall deep into the pocket.



Here is a photo of the finished piece.



Thanks for your time today.  I value your visit.  If you would like to be a Spellblogger, check out the details here: 

Shopping Details
The new Maja Design paper collection is shipping NOW! You can buy the papers from your favorite stores located in the Store Finder link here.  

You can shop for all the gorgeous "must have" Spellbinders dies right here.  Shop for Spellbinders 



Products Used:
Maja Design called, Denim & Friends (Stonewashed, Summershirt, Jeans & Tie, Paisley)
White cardstock
Gingham ribbon
thin black pen
lace 
blue gems

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the detailed tutorial Jen! I saved your card on my phone a few days ago because I like the colors, design and simplicity of it. I love those Spellbinders dies and use them frequently also. I just made a card for a swap last week using them and The Tales of You and Me papers. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great details for creating this denium pocket card, you rocked it!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this idea for gift cards and cash for my nephews at Christmas! Obviously, I will use a different Spellbinders Die!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just the perfect card for a young teen-age boy or -girl. It looks awesome and just shows exactly what they love. Thanks sooo much for the instructions too, it makes it sooo easy to make our own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that pocket! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete